Leaving for the airport is my favorite part of travelling. There is just so much excitement when heading to the airport. Heading to the airport to visit a country or to head home ignites a very nigh energy in me. The excitement to explore another country is enthralling and returning home to tell my experience with my suitcase full of trinkets is delightful. I also love hanging and eating in the airport lounge but that is for another post.
After all my travel experiences, I have realized the importance of not only preparing myself for a trip, but my home. I have come home too many times to dying plants, a smelly fridge and dirty dishes. Talk about frustration and yucky moments.
One day it just clicked… “ I should create a checklist of things to do at home prior to heading to the airport”. This is important because depending on how long you are leaving home, it may have an impact of your home.
Because home prep is often overlooked prior to heading to the airport, I prepared a helpful checklist.
Before leaving home:
- Take out all of the garbage.
- Turn off the lights or set your light timers.
- Ensure the heating system is set appropriately.
- Put down the shades, curtains or set shade timers.
- Close all windows.
- Dust and sweep the floors.
- Clean the fridge.
- Eat or throw away any perishable fruits or vegetables.
- Water all of your plants or put them in the care of family.
- If you have any pets, do not put them on the balcony or in the backyard, put them in the appropriate care.
- Run the dishwasher the night before you leave home and offload in the morning.
- Avoid using dishes prior you leave. Eat at the airport.
- Make sure you have a set of keys.
- Spray freshener (Febreze) throughout your home.
- MAKE UP YOUR BED!
- Turn off the water in your condo to prevent flooding if appropriate.
- Do as much laundry as you can prior so you do not come home to smelly laundry.
- Forward mail if needed.
- Set the alarm and lock ALL doors.
What do you do to prepare your home for your vacation or trip?